Grilled Wild Salmon with a Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad
Pairs Well With
- 6 six-ounce salmon fillets or steaks (preferably wild caught)
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups or so tender young arugula leaves, washed
Remove any bones from the salmon. Brush with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill salmon over moderately hot coals on both sides until cooked medium rare (still translucent in the center). Arrange roasted beets and arugula attractively on plates; preferably shallow soup or pasta plates. Place salmon alongside and drizzle a couple of tablespoons of the reduction around.
12 each baby red and golden beets
Scrub beets thoroughly, remove and save greens for another use. Lightly oil beets with olive oil and roast in a pan loosely covered with foil until tender. Time will depend on size of beets. Baby beets will take 30 to 40 minutes. Large beets if roasted whole can take as long as 2 hours. Remove and with a towel rub off the skins. Set aside.
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried mushrooms such as porcini or shiitake
- 2 1/2 cups rich chicken or fish stock
- 1/4 cup or so good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Add the garlic, rosemary and dried mushrooms to the stock and reduce over high heat by half. Add vinegar and continue to reduce to a light sauce consistency. This can take 20 minutes or more. Strain carefully and whisk in butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm. If making ahead wait until serving time to whisk in butter. To store, cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.