Red & White Lasagna
- 1 package dry lasagna
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, washed, steamed until wilted and squeezed dry
- 1/2 pound mushrooms thinly sliced and sautéed in butter
- 1 pound whole milk ricotta
- 2 fresh eggs mixed into the ricotta
- 1 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 quart tomato sauce, your favorite type
- 2 cups béchamel sauce (see recipe below)
Cook the lasagna noodles until they are al dente. Rinse with cold water and drain in a colander.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Cover the bottom of a large 9½” x 13½” x 2″ baking pan with a thin layer of tomato sauce. Add a layer of noodles. Top with a layer of sliced provolone, reserving some provolone for the top of the lasagna. Add another layer of noodles.
Continue layering with spinach, mushrooms, ricotta, mozzarella and noodles, adding a small amount of béchamel sauce to each layer. Place slices of provolone over the last layer of noodles.
Spoon the remainder of béchamel over the top of the cheese. Add the rest of the tomato sauce and gently swirl it over the white sauce.
Cover with foil and bake at 325°F for 1½ hours (uncovered for the final 15 minutes). It should be bubbling slightly when removed from the oven. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk white pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth and light brown. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until all the milk is added and the sauce is as dense as thick cream. Add the pepper and nutmeg.