Wild Mushroom Patê
Pairs Well With
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots or green onions (white part only)
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh wild mushrooms (like Shiitake or Oyster) and/or cultivated Crimini
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder or to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup toasted, preferably unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons toasted nut oil such as walnut or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mixed herbs such as parsley, chives and/or basil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the butter in a large sauté pan over moderately high heat. Add the shallots, mushrooms, garlic, curry and cumin and sauté and stir until mixture is just beginning to brown and all liquid has evaporated.
While mushrooms are cooking add the cashews to a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add oil and continue to process to make a paste. Add the mushroom mixture and process till smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then place in a 3-cup pate mold or other ceramic dish. Can be stored covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Allow to return to room temperature and sprinkle with chopped herbs and zest at serving time.